Monday, August 06, 2007

DYNOMAS



We Trinis often feel we 'have it down' when it comes to creativity and Carnival creations, sometimes we look at some designers and wonder how did they come up with that concept?
when i went to school my English lit teacher once said to me "if its one thing you must do in life is travel" and its true, you see and learn so much more when you can leave home and see another part of the world, and experience other art forms that can inspire you to reach higher in yours.

This weekend i took a little break from my work to get some of the summer sun in London town, and am i glad i did, i saw a Mas ....well what i would describe as a Mas , my first sight of them was kind off surreal for me, at a distance i had to blink and look again, this what i would call Dyno-mas, had children and adults alike in awe. The mas man in me made quick references to Macfarlane's King this year, and the possibilities of one day producing something even bigger and better than what i witnessed this weekend.
An old mas man once said to me "if you want to come up with a good Mas doh look at little Trinidad, look at the World is out there you will find inspiration, for your work"

That statement is so true...



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey masassassin, truly an inspiring example of what is indeed possible with Trinidad's Kings and Queens. The articulation and natural (at least with we can imagine about some jurassic animals) head movements, and seemingly quite easy stilt walking movements are simply just amazing.

When I was in Trinidad this year, I was quite mesmorized by MacFarlane's "India" king. I was at the Jean Pierre Complex when it could not continue in the competition, because of a small construction failure. The mas player was quite heart broken (tears did flow from his eyes) because he knew he could deliver the movements (on moko jumbie, stilts!!) of this very impressive, and awe inspiring work. I too was disappointed, because it was absolutely the most innovative and forward thinking king I saw in several years. The good part is on Carnival Tuesday the piece was in full function and glory on the streets (I saw it at the Savannah "stage"). It was indeed an awesome sight within the context of "India" theme and full band pageantry.

Thanks for sharing these videos. My mind is racing with ideas ;)

Bless

Share it.

Translate

Instagram

Instagram

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Facebook Badge

MAS REPUBLIC Headlines


This is MassassinnatioN

Global

QR

QR

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner