I value loyalty in both my male and female friends Crystal Aming is the daughter of Carnival great, Neville Aming. In 2011 she will celebrate a decade of solo Carnival design with her designs being part of Young Upwardly Mobile Adults' (YUMA's) Carnival 2011 presentation — Zodeak. A proud mother, Aming hopes to pass on her creativity to her loving son who, along with her father, continues to be her source of inspiration. In addition to Carnival costume design, Aming also flies with Caribbean Airlines and freelances in costume design for other events. Most recently, one of her designs helped international model Daphne Narveaz, who also modelled for YUMA, cop a final spot in a swimsuit competition in Las Vegas. Crystal took a few moments out of her hectic schedule to answer this week's 21 questions.
1. What quality do you like most in women?
Confidence... Not to be confused with arrogance or ignorance.
2. Your happiest moment?
The first time my son said "Mummy I love you" without me saying it to him first.
3. Your secret fear?
Shouldn't that be kept a secret?!? Hahaha!
4. Which living person do you admire the most?
My mummy... Her humility & selflessness is amazing. I love you mummy.
5. What quality do you value most in your friends, both male and female?
6. What is your greatest extravagance?
7. The place you would most like to visit before you die?
Tahiti... & I have to be specific... One of those glassbottom bungalows in the middle of the ocean... With the right company of course.
8. What is your favourite journey?
The one I walk every day ... Motherhood and the creative process.
9. What advice would you give to people wishing to enter your field?
As a Cabin attendant — there is an entire world out there... Go see it and as a designer — be inspired by any & everything & go for it!
10. What is your current state of mind?
Anxious and focused — The reveal of our 2011 costumes is August 8th (today). I'm focused on showing our work to the world!
11. What is the trait you most deplore in others?
Stupidity or close-mindedness.
12. What is your greatest joy?
My son Shine... Can you tell I love my son.
13. What is your biggest turn-on in a man.
Apart from the physical attributes, I'd have to say conversation and humour... He has to stimulate me mentally and make me laugh.
14. What is your guilty plessure?
Did I mention shoes already?
15. What is your lowest depth of misery?
16. What is your pet peeve?
17. What do you get complimented about the most?
My smile or my skin... People seem to love my complexion.
18. When was the last time you cried?
A few days ago... I need a good cry every now and then... It's my cleansing.
19. What was the first thing you did this morning?
Hit my snooze button like three times.
20. What do you consider your most cherished virtue?
My generosity... Nothing is ever too much for me to give.
21. If you had one personal wish which you alone can benefit from hence world peace etc is not applicable?
To win the lotto... That would be so liberating!