Thursday, January 11, 2007









“I READY TO FLY, IM SO HIGH , UP IN THE SKY, NOW EVERY BODY SPREAD YOUR WINGS AND FLY AWAY!"

I knew this carnival was gonna be a special one you could feel it in your blood.
I said it in he past and I saying it again allyuh ent see how bands like Genesis upgrade dey style, how Legacy come with a whole Indian band, How leaders of the new school Tribe want to pay tribute to the Mas of yesteryear, and Berkley seems to have found some of that old fire inside.

I tell allyuh in the past Carnival is religion!
Every year Trini’s from all over the world and every one else does pack planes to celebrate life and freedom, to play dey self or play ah Mas, to hit the streets of Port of Spain in the blazing sun and look to the sky and dey hands in the air ……high in the air.

Now Machel come with a tune to complete the religious experience of Carnival, a tune that for me is a religious experience in it’s self.
If Iwer sing the Anthem for the Carnival 2007, the words in High are the national pledge of a Carnival nation.

“ WE GONNA SHARE THE FRIENDLY SKIES, CARNIVAL MORNING, I WANNA BE RIGHT THERE BY YOUR SIDE, WHEN THE TRUCK START MOVEING…..WE DOH WANT NO SYMPATY CAUSE NO ONE CAN FETE LIKE WE….”

Machel for me is an icon of a generation, the boy who would be King.
A promise made way back in the savannah by a lil youth in diapers proclaiming to the World “I COME OUT TO SOCA” and every year since then he has produced a tune that sticks with you but this one dred,………… captures the very essence of carnival.

And he not done yet


If young designers and Mas men and women were to invest time in the art form of Mas , any mas “fun” or otherwise learn the history, the fundamentals, understand the power of the culture who knows how High it could reach.

The higher he takes his mastery of the art form the sweeter it gets, I hope this track inspires young designers as it has me, to dig deep as he has and take Mas as high as Machel takes Soca .

“I know you can feel the magic baby” JAY-Z






later........
































2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your blog. You are very on point with your observation on our culture.

You critque very well, I am planning on trying my hand at mas next year not to sure as yet but I have everything planned to a key.

Keep up the your good observation!

MAS ASSASSIN said...

Thanks bmob 08
i think you should try your hand too!

what aspect of mas are you planning to take on?

Share it.

Translate

Instagram

Instagram

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Facebook Badge

MAS REPUBLIC Headlines


This is MassassinnatioN

Global

QR

QR

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner