Monday, May 19, 2008

TIME MACHINE: THE MINSHALL TRILOGY










ny time I take a trip to carnivals past, the Minshall name crops up, that is simply because of the impact the body of his work made on Trinidad’s Carnival full stop.
I don’t know if any of you ever noticed the video bar on the right but on it are some Minshall videos, I have decided to post these 6 videos, because, I believe, a lot can be learned from them not only about the mans work, but maybe some of you who don’t have a clue how deep mas can get can understand the potential this art form has.
And for the young designers that think the path to global critical acclaim, and respect as an artist can be found in the sparkle of the bead and the mirror, think again.

THINK FOR ONCE.
The documentary ‘The Minshall Trilogy’, was directed by Dalton Narine and covers Minshall’s trilogy of ‘River’ 1983, ‘Callaloo’, 84, and ‘The Golden Calabash’ in 85.
This is a special period in my life, for it was during these 3 years as a little boy sitting between my Uncle and Aunt in the North Stand, that the Carnival Jumbie, touched my soul, I also remember it as being the first time where, my vote, my opinion counted, my first lesson in democracy was in the North Stand, voting for the peoples choice.
The documentary features interviews, from Peter Minshall himself, legendary bandleaders, Elsie Lehung, and Raol Garib, and the most successful King of Carnival to date Peter Samuel, (8 times king) also one of the most famous Queens of Carnival, a young Sherry Ann Coelho (Guy), and a name well known in Notting Hill circles, Alwin Chow Linon.
It also features the music of David Rudder with Charlie’s Roots, two names that during this period (1980’s) was synonymous with Minshall and Callaloo.
so the MASSASSINATION TIME MACHINE PRESENTS,
for your edutainment this is
THE MINSHALL TRILOGY.

No comments:

Share it.

Translate

Instagram

Instagram

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Facebook Badge

MAS REPUBLIC Headlines


This is MassassinnatioN

Global

QR

QR

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner