Sunday, June 08, 2008

CONCEPTS OF THE MAS ASSASSIN: Concept section for Symphony of life.












ince starting Massassination I have never, as far as I can remember done a mas remix or a mas concept for you to see, like I did on Island mix, but today that is going to change.

Symphony of life, the 2008 presentation by Burrokeets for Notting Hill Carnival, was a theme that fascinated me. However I found that their execution of the mas lacked originality, imagination, and creative depth. Their Symphony was a standard concept of steel pans, guitars, piano’s, and the chutney influences.

Now there is no expense to use a little imagination in the development of a concept. When critiquing Burrokeets, I stated that their design team needed to look outside of their little minds sometimes, for while they reside in the U.K, their mental seems to be stuck in early nineties Trinidad. And the proof can be seen in the dated lazy designs they have put out.

To show how easy it is to add a little depth to a mas, its meaning and design, I decided to put my own pens to paper and put down a little rough sketch for you.

So here is a little Massassination Mas Concept that I put together using the theme Symphony of life.

This concept section is called ‘Beat of the Street’.

Beat of the Street, is just that, in this symphony of life the streets ruminate with beats of urban culture, and music, be it raga, hip-hop, bangra, pop, or an amalgam of them all, but for youth across the global village that the Earth is today, the beat of the street is also the beat of death.

The costume is a 21st Century, version of the notorious Midnight Robber Mas.

This character is a direct descendant of the Midnight Robber, a great, great, grandson or granddaughter of the ‘Agent of Death’.

Adorned not with the sombrero of his ancestors, this young ‘Death Dealer’ is hooded, or wears a cap.

But their trappings are familiar.

Their skulls are diamond or diamante encrusted, for they are driven by the bling, they still wear black, the colour most feared by all men and thought to be the colour of death.

They rock gold, and diamonds, the metals and minerals of cash, conflict, and genocide. From the villages of Africa, to the cities of London, New York and Port of Spain, men, women and children have died, Mothers and Fathers have cried, promise of tomorrow smothered by a red tide, on the streets of this robbers beat.

You might find it all gloom and doom, but mas is a reflection of life and life is not all fun and fantasy, and a symphony is not always sweet.

There you go, hope you understood it, I hope you liked it, and if not, that’s life.

Later.




8 comments:

Anonymous said...

very nice design.. have you considered approaching Burrokeets and offering them this choice?

I'm quite sure though, now that you have placed this out here some one is going to find it hard to resist copying it and claiming it as theirs....

Word to the wise.. careful how you share your stuff.

BACHANALMAS said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MAS ASSASSIN said...

Good, I’m happy that you like the design Anonymous, I have not approached Burrokeets with this concept nor would either, I believe that after all these years in the mas game such bands and their designers should develop their game, thinking, and approach to mas and its and their development naturally.
Injections of designers or mas imports do nothing for their development, or that of the culture.

As for the bandits and them, I have a philosophy on them, ‘who want to thief my concept and claim it for their own good luck , the thinking of the concept is mine I am the source, my talent wont just dry up, but what is going to happen to them when they cant ‘take a borrow’ the next year?’

The same thing that happens to bands that import costumes this year but can’t afford them next year, shame.

So called designers borrowing mas of the net or from Trinidad, whole sale, putting a little re-mix on the costume and putting it back on the internet with their name on it brave and bold, and claiming acclaim, those pretenders will forever be 10 steps behind the real talent out here.

So let them copy and paste, I like thinking.

dougla_1 said...

Well, yes mas assassin. I just bounce over here from another of my favorite "carnival jumbie" sites, Trinidad Carnival Diary. Thank you for your beautiful imagining of one of the storied characters of Trinidad's Carnival, the Robber Mas. Yes, you have brought it forward and made it quite relevant to the virus-like "beats of the streets," worldwide. You are dead on! I love the female costume of the section as well. I have always felt that bikini mas can achieve higher aspirations, though I have no issues with just fun and frivolity with many pieces in some fantasy themes (btw, even those can be insightful and seriously symbolic). And here in your vision is one of the few pieces the male board shorts ACTUALLY work for the costume.

And you are so right, some could steal your ideas here, but they could never steal your soul and the rel understanding of your mas! Bless up!

As an aside. I came to "discover" Trinidad's Carnival and it's rich history quite later in my adult life. I only wish I had been introduced to the "seriousness," much earlier. I think I would have acquired the necessary designer's skills (oh yes, formal training) to realize my passions on the street presentations. It is now my hope just be to a generous patron of the "baccanahal." Time will only tell how fortune smiles my way.

Hey, thinking IS sexy :)

MAS ASSASSIN said...

Thanks for the nice words Dougla 1 I will try and drop some more concepts in the future.
Respect and blessings.

Anonymous said...

i must admit i was thinkin about creating a concept around the 21st century youth (hoods, diamonds etc) but was never too sure how to approach it... i love the idea and the incorporation of the old school with the new. its alright init. cudos

lol

im not a designer, not yet anyway, but give me a couple years. Watch OUT.
Im coming...

Dwight said...

I love your design and concept. I love the idea of updating the robber and the whole death/money/etc thing is very relevant in trinidad right now. This might be moot observation since I don't have the context of the rest of the band to go on but the section seems to be a bit detached from the music theme (unless u're depicting diff genres and this is the hiphop one).

I also love that you incorporated the pants into the design for the men (i hate the "generic shorts + waistband" thing they pass off as male costumes). And here's another idea for the female costumes, you could have deviated from the normal shape of the headpiece so that it has more of a hood/cap shape to go along with the updated male look (which i love)

Anonymous said...

Well Well Well Mas Assassin, I remember reading this article and thinking "what a great idea for a theme".. It seems I was not the only one who thought so..

Watch this space for UK 2010 bands themes. Although, it is not a surprised as "said designer" has been know for running with peoples 'tings", as well as running their mouth. Maybe their 2011 theme should be called "RUN"..

"Sharpen your pencil and be ready to scribe"

Remember you heard it here 1st.. "HOT OF DE PRESS"

Share it.

Translate

Instagram

Instagram

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Facebook Badge

MAS REPUBLIC Headlines


This is MassassinnatioN

Global

QR

QR

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner